A People Person.

I have learned so much over the past few years, some would say I have changed a lot since university. Personality changes are common since people "just grow out of it" with years. Grow out of habits or looks or anything really. Time goes by and before you know it you are twenty six and looking back to ten years ago just makes you wonder - what exactly made you into who you are today.

I used to say that I hate working with people. Oh what the heck, I still say it almost every week! But I got very good at it, and it is hard to move on to a "normal" office environment when people don't tend to release their anger at you, a person who the have just met and will probably never see again in their entire life. Somehow people think it is OK to do so.

You see, on average I talk to about 200 people a day. Face to face, phones and emails combined it is probably sometimes even more than that. I ask them about how has their day been so far and what are they in the area for and multiple other questions depending on the type of traveller, time of the day and day of the year. And I do it with a smile on my face. Always. Now you would like to try and guess how many times, lets say out of ten, this smile is genuine? Probably two if you are lucky or if you are holding a cute puppy or a cute child in your arms.
I repeat the same questions every day, smile when I feel like crying and say that "it is not a problem at all" when I cant be asked to even look in people's directions anymore.

I am an actress, I get paid to fake my emotions. I get paid to be the happiest person you will ever meet and I was OK with it until I started feeling like this act transfers to my everyday life outside work. I smile at strangers on the street if I pass them - Here is your 10 and 5 staff rule -

"Simply explained, the 10 and 5 Rule suggests that anytime a guest is within ten feet of a staff member, the staff member should make eye contact and warmly smile to acknowledge the oncoming guests.
When a staff member is approximately five feet from a guest, a sincere greeting or friendly gesture of acknowledgement should accompany the eye contact and smile."

I struggle to pass people who give away flyers or sell some stuff on the streets  because my inner voice screams at me that I can't be rude and just walk past ignoring them although it is completely normal for everyone around me. I can't shut down a boring conversation and answer with a "yes" or "no", always has to be a full sentence like I am writing a work email. I apologise for way too many things that should not be even in my concern. And it bugs me.

This is where you go - So wait, what exactly is the problem here?" The "problem" is that this was never me, Not like I would remember myself ten or even 5 years ago. I used to filter everyone I spoke to but now I feel like I must talk to anyone who need a chat and I am questioning if all these emotions towards strangers are real or a basic force of habit. Do I really care that it is your nephew's twin brother's goldfish's birthday? No I do not. I don't think I do but I be sure to act as pleasant and comforting on a "big celebration day" as I can to make you happy.

... I perform. And I do it well. There is a lot of anger boxed up somewhere deep inside but you will not see it unless you push all the right buttons, but I feel like even I don't know the right combination to it anymore. I will be the sweetest person you will ever meet and I will probably forget your name before the sun goes down. I am a "People Person".

Comments

Popular Posts