Happiness Routine.

As we are still in winter I am craving the sun more and more each day. I have been working early shifts last week or so and I got very excited when I finished work at 3PM, walked out of the building and it was still light outside. I cannot tell you how happy it made me! For the last month or so I left the house when it is still dark and went back home when it was already dark. I mean if I was a plant, I would have faded by now. There was no sun. Not even a hint of it. Perfect for a vampire and absolutely demoralising for an average human being.

Now I can say that my mood is improving almost daily, my health is finally getting better and I do not feel like an old woman anymore. What did I change? I simply added little things to my habits little by little. I used to sleep in right until it is almost no time left to get ready, dress for work, not have breakfast, rush in through town and I was very grumpy and irate about everything and everyone around me. But that was because even though I was awake, I was not mentally prepared for the day ahead of me and winter weather certainly was just adding to the list.

So what exactly changed?

I make myself get up slightly earlier than usual. It might be just 10 minutes but those few minutes can save you rushing out of the house forgetting half of the things you should have taken with you. I used to leave EVERYTHING behind,even if I put it in the corridor or next to the door - just walked right past it and out of the house only to realize I forgot it half way to work. Ugh. Now that I wake up a bit earlier, I have time to gather everything, and get myself calm and collected before the rush.

In addition to an earlier start, I sometimes have enough time to make tea (yes tea, and not coffee, preferably green) in a takeaway cup and stretch. Yes, you heard me. After a week of muscle pain and agony of not being able to move without pain in my whole body I went to speak to a few people who know their stuff and they all told me the same thing - Hydrate stretch and sleep, you idiot. yes it was hard to start with, and yes it seemed pointless to me, but I can honestly feel the difference in how I feel and I am aiming to continue doing this every morning that allows me with time.

Listen to music. I do every day. Doesn't matter what kind of music - as long as it makes you happy and as long as it makes you think/smile/dance, as long as you get positive emotions. When you are listening to a song try to remember why it means a lot to you or what it reminds you off and try to feel it, not just use it as a background noise.

So an early start, stretch, cup of tea and good music. That is my secret to feeling better in the mornings. As easy as that! Hard to believe it felt like such effort to do all this before when it is such a minor thing added to the routine but it changes everything for the best. Do you have "Happiness Routine" for your morning? Or do you prefer to sleep in, like I used to? Give something new a try - January is a month of new experiences after all! In other words, come on Spring, I am waiting for you.

Comments

Popular Posts